Thread: Flip UltraHD video camera recommendation?

Default Flip UltraHD video camera recommendation?

We bought a Flip UltraHD video camera as a Christmas present for our daughter during black friday. It was on sale for $99. Her Ipod broke right before Christmas so we wound up replacing that instead. I started to return the camera but for $99 am considering just keeping it for myself.

Has anyone used one of these that can provide a recommendation? Is the video/sound quality any good? I would probably also use it for AX/track video, any recommendation for that application? The cheap digital camera that I've used in the past has ok video but picks up a lot of wind noise. Is that going to be an issue with this one also or does it do a decent job of filtering it out? ( Other peoples videos that I've watched online don't have nearly the wind noise that I get).

If I don't keep it then I'll hopefully pickup a Hero HD sometime in the future. For the price though if the quality of the Flip is good it would probably make a better all purpose video camera then the Hero. Any Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Keith
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

I have no first hand experience with the flip but own two hero hd's. The heroes are at least twice the cost of a flip and not twice the quality; image or sound. I think you should do some camera tests with it and if you like it, keep it. I'm still happy w/ my heroes though because I didn't pay retail and they have so many options for mounting. The flip seems like a good camera to me though.

We have a Flip HD and are very happy with it, but I have not tried it in car. I got it for the wife as she is does not like complicated electronics. It is supper easy to use and she uses it a lot.

I bought a flip for my wife at Thanksgiving specifically because she had played with one and loved the simplicity. I'm impressed with the quality and versatility, and it isn;t possible to make things any simpler. Even the software interface is built-in. The low-light quality is a bit weak, but better than any digital camera I've tried, adn the quality is terrific in good light and outdoors. For the price, its hard to find a fault with the camera, and never needing a cable, batteries or a memory card is a pretty big plus. I have seen people use them in the car, but don't know how it turns out. I can't see why they wouldn't do fine, so long as the mount is steady. They do have a fairly narrow field-of-view, but wide-angle attachments are available.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Does the Flip have any kind of mounting point on it like the standard threaded tripod mount? I've never seen one up close and personal...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Does the Flip have any kind of mounting point on it like the standard threaded tripod mount? I've never seen one up close and personal...
    Yep... threaded for a standard tripod mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Yep... threaded for a standard tripod mount.
    Interesting... if one were to mount the thing upside down, how easy would it be to flip the image?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Well, it is a "flip"...

Seriously, you can rotate video in any decent editing program. I have the same issue when I use my point-and-shoot Canon mounted upside-down from the inside of the windshield, and I just rotate the image in iMovie.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."